In the Support forums hundreds of support posts are made daily. People who have a problem, or just a question they’d like to ask. It’s hard to answer all of those questions. Sometimes we need more information in order to get a better view of the problem to solve it.
What questions do we ask?
Have a look at the Support Request Template Generator. All the questions on there are useful to provide support. To give you a good idea of why we are asking those questions, I’ll give you a short summary.
In this first step the generator will ask you some common information to find out if your question is something we can help you with or where you can get help. You should, for example, be running the latest version of phpBB because every release fixes bugs. The problem you are experience could have been fixed in more recent release of phpBB.
Here are more specific question regarding your board are asked.
- The board URL – A link to be able to look at your board and see the problem in action.
- Board hosting – The generator asks you where you host your board because there are some hosts where we continue to see the same problems when you use phpBB on their servers.
- How did you install the board? – Some hosts provide one-click installations or Fantastico installations. Those installation packs edit some of the default code and have the same problems. We recommend you do not to use them, just download and install phpBB yourself.
- Fresh install or conversion – Just handy to know for us whether is board is an fresh phpBB3 install or a conversion from some other board software.
- Any mods installed – MODs can change functions of phpBB. Having many MODs can cause bugs.
Oh yeah, we’re coming closer to completion. This is the last step before the output of the generator is being presented. Finally, here you are asked for a description of your problem. You can also tell us of any additional languages, styles and/or modifications that are installed. Also asked for is the database scheme and your level of experience to better provide you with assistance.
I hope you understand that when we ask you to fill out the Support Request Template, we don’t do that to bully you. It only makes the support process go faster.
If you would like to have one of your own blog posts that relates to phpBB on this blog, please send me, wGEric, a private message containing the blog post.